Welcome to my blog, I'd appreciate any feedback Thank you


Thursday 31 May 2012

Kindle and eBooks


I was bought Kindle for Christmas, complete with screen protector, cover and light.  I LOVE it, it goes everywhere with me, I just throw it in my bag and off I go, no more hulking great books with me or choosing a handbag based on the size of a book.  I can still read in the bath as my kindle fits into a ziplock bag to keep it dry!

I have a kindle and use Amazon as I asked twitter for advice and kindle was the overwhelming recommendation.  I have downloaded books from Amazon both expensive and free, some mistakes have been made, but found out that if downloaded in error I could return to Amazon for a full refund – I clicked buy instead of sample and having read the sample really didn’t want to buy it.

Friends are divided between kindles are:
the best thing since sliced bread
or
the work of the devil and will be the death of books
However, I have read more books this year than I’ve done for years, both established and independent authors

I have a real mixture of books on my kindle from classics, thrillers, factual, autobiographies to chick lit/romances, although it could be argued that Jane Austen was the first chick lit/romance author but she is now considered a classic author.  I have downloaded books from authors I have tweeted with and even tweeted with authors of books I’ve downloaded.

I am currently trying to read Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables – this is hard work, but since Russell Crowe will be in a new film adaptation of Les Mis I want to read the book first.  There is debate about whether one should only read classic and not the so called ‘Trashy’ chick lit romance novels, but when I can’t sleep at 3am I don’t want to be concentrating on a novel I just want something easy to read, with a happy ever after at the end.  Insomnia is bad enough at the best of times without having to make your brain work hard concentration on a book or reading a weepy.  

As usual I have more than one book on the go at once, a friend has recommended EL James' Fifty Shade of Grey 
you must read it we’re ALL reading it even though it is VERY racy
I know this has had some terrible reviews on Amazon, but the last book this friend recommended was good so I will read it – it’s nearly as hard work as Les Mis but so was Wuthering Heights and that is a lovely story.  Oh I'm not comparing EL James to Victor Hugo or Emily Brontë!

I've read Lisette Brodey's books after I followed her on TwitterCrooked Moon was a lovely read and not what I was expecting, so will have to down load another of her books next.

I read Michelle Bethan’s No Matter What – it was on offer and free when I downloaded and just loved this book.  Not sure why maybe I could related in various ways to India the main character, - no I’m not a famous Hollywood actress with a fabulous lifestyle - but just on the personal level even though I’ve not been through what India has.  The character made me think about things and in the same way I fell in love with Jane Austen’s Anne Elliot, Mr Darcy, Captain Wentworth, I fell in love with India Stevens.  I have since purchased and read Michelle Betham's other books which I enjoyed just not in the same way.  I even follow Michelle on twitter although she probably thinks me some weird stalker fan – those who know me on here and twitter will (hopefully) know I’m not a weido or stalker just a friendly person trying to brighten up the day and encourage others.

So I will return to my kindle and Les Mis hopefully I will finish it before the film is released although Lisette Brodey's Molly Hacker is Too Picky is calling me and Michelle Bethan is editing her next book so maybe just maybe I will not have time to finish Les Mis, thank you to all the various authors, please keep your imaginations working creating lovely stories, mysteries crimes to draw me into various situations I would never go to otherwise.  

All this reading is helping me to Chill more and be so much less stressed or depressed


epilogue !!


read all three shades of grey books - found out the friend hadn't read it before recommending it to me didn't even finish book one - they are badly written very predictable even.  I had written this before hearing all the hype about these books.  I'm glad I read them, but there are so many better books around.

2 comments:

  1. Pam:

    What a terrific blog! Thank you so much for including me and my work in it. It is wonderful to know that books are helping to take you away and cope with stress and depression. I say that not only as an author, but also as a fellow human being.

    I love hearing that you are reading more than ever. I can't help but hope this is true for many people.

    Thank you for including independent authors in your reading.

    You rock!

    Best,
    Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pam:

    Thank you, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog which I could relate to on many levels. I too found reading and writing a fabulous coping mechanism for dealing with the blues.

    I am also a huge fan of Twitter, and I love engaging with people from all walks of life. One of the authors you have highlighted, Lisette Brodey, I connected with on Twitter a couple of years ago after reading, Crooked Moon. I have enjoyed all her novels and consider her to be one of today's great character-driven storytellers.

    Best, Ross

    ReplyDelete